The New CLA 45 AMG Presented by Wolfgang Rother

Re: The New CLA 45 AMG Presented by Wolfgang Rother

Postby Ah_poh20 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:19 pm

I went to see yesterday.
I personal feeling tis car is more to lady driver cos inside is small.
I also very big size i hv to push the seat back then rear no leg space & i go in the rear seat nbz.... Hit my head when in & out of the car....
Tis car nt suits me :(o
53 paya ubi industrial park ave 1 #05-22 Singapore 408934
ah_poh20@hotmail.com
HSBC credit card 0% interest instalment free 6/12 mths
UOB credit card 0% interest instalment free 6/12/24/36 months
No extra surcharge or interest with minimum $500
Ah_poh20
Cappuccino

Postby chiaster » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:21 pm

Me too... :rofl:
MercKaki chiaster
ZC21 - CL7 - W204 - X250 - ?
chiaster
Espresso

Postby Ah_poh20 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:39 pm

chiaster wrote:Me too... :rofl:

Haha.... Same cat bro?
53 paya ubi industrial park ave 1 #05-22 Singapore 408934
ah_poh20@hotmail.com
HSBC credit card 0% interest instalment free 6/12 mths
UOB credit card 0% interest instalment free 6/12/24/36 months
No extra surcharge or interest with minimum $500
Ah_poh20
Cappuccino

Postby chiaster » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:30 pm

Ah_poh20 wrote:
chiaster wrote:Me too... :rofl:

Haha.... Same cat bro?

"Me too" as in I'm too tall for the CLA cabin... :rofl:

And yep, it's still the same cat... Just past 6mths now... :1grin:
MercKaki chiaster
ZC21 - CL7 - W204 - X250 - ?
chiaster
Espresso

Postby lefthandseat » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:25 pm

not that difficult to comprehend if you think about "Ang Moh Gwee" sales tactics vs Jappy or K.
Hollywood got sequels...so u want more...n Pay N Pay.....
just look at that Apple vs Samsung...
but then again,,it could just be agent sales tactics.

DT6886 wrote:
chiaster wrote:Don't understand why a premium marque like MB doesn't have that as standard... Meow meow all have...

Ya man...this is something I can't comprehend. :banghead:
lefthandseat
Kopi

Postby slickpug » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:01 pm

Hi Kakis,

I had the opportunity to test drive the CLA45 today. It was purely coincidental though. I was actually there to look at the CLS350, but was disappointed with MB’s poor efforts to differentiate it’s CLS from their E Class. It felt like a 4 seater E Class, no more. Then again, I should have known. The CLS IS derived from the E Class afterall. I guess my disappointment was so obvious that the Sales suggested that I take a look at CLA45 which will fit my budget. I thought what the heck!

The CLA45 on the whole has beautiful curves, but those curves are subjective. It’ll look stunning in our rear view mirror or when we are following one in traffic, but the side view is questionable. C&C is currently offering their CLA45 with Night Package. This will include black bits around the exterior of the car to give it a sportier look. However, one has to be careful in picking the colours. To some of us, our car represents who we are, and to others where we are. Pick the wrong colour and together with the red AMG calipers and Night Package and you can easily cross the "Beng" line.

In the cockpit, the CLA is beautiful. I like the way MB is moving itself away from its old stately image to one that appeals to the younger generation. This car is targeted at the late 20s, early 30s. But in sunny Singapore, very few of us in that age group can afford this car. The new aircon vents and the floating screen is a fresh change and something different from the other German marques. The screen is positioned at the right height and it is easy for the driver to read. While many online reviews lamented about the below par interior quality and materials used, I thought it was sufficient. One cannot expect the luxury of a S Class to be present in a CLA. The suede like material used on the steering was a joy to hold, but definitely not suitable for those with sweaty palms. The red stitching on the black leather throughout the car complete with the red seat belts brought out the differentiation between AMG and the rest. One of the most common complaint was the use of cheap looking hard plastic at the lower half of the dash and the gear areas. I thought that was decent too. Those same plastics are used in the more expensive E and CLS class too.

The bucket seats are very firm. I have my reservations about seating in them for long hours. One thing for sure, I'll have to change my preferred lounge lizard style of driving to one that is more upright befitting the hugging buckets. Once properly adjusted, it will be a snug fit if you are not too big. The head room is not impressive. For a 1.6 meter plus guy to make such a comment, you have an idea of the head space upfront in the driver’s seat. If you are going for the CLA45, I would strongly suggest that you spend a further S$4,600 for the Panoramic Roof. With the roof shade open, at least it'll give you 1 more inch of head room, plus an airy feeling to the dark cabin. But I wonder how much beating your scalp can take from the sun before you go bald in the center. The rear space isn’t huge either. But if you see it from a point view of coupe, it is spacious. MB is, afterall, marketing the CLA and the CLS as a coupe, not a sedan. Leg space is definitely sufficient. With my driving position, a rear passenger of the same height wouldn't have to spread his legs in an awkward position to fit in. Head room in the rear is limited. I wouldn't advise you to seat anyone who is over 1.7m behind. Remember, it's a coupe.

Other than the overly firm suspensions, the CLA45 has a fantastic drive. It definitely handles very well. You'll feel very confident throwing the car into corners at illegal speeds. As a prospective buyer, I am concerned about the overly firm suspensions. It’s firm, but not harsh or out of control. It doesn't break your spine, but you would want to slow down drastically over poor roads because it feels like it has the ability to break it if you are not careful. You can definitely forget about conducting the glass of water on dash test with this car. This could be a turnoff for most of the buyers. Engaging the gear into D on the CLA45 also brought about a weird reaction. It reminded me of an Alfa Romeo 159 Selespeed transmission. It doesn’t quite roll. Tap on the thorttle and you wouldn’t get much reaction with the initial 2 inch. Push it further, and a surge kicks in. Turbo lag? Constraints of a small overtuned engine? Perhaps. But once on the move, it felt better. I can’t help but noticed that the gear ratios are very close. And this was driving it normally, like how an average Singaporean would. I didn't have the chance to push the CLA45 to its limits, but I could already sense its potential.

C&C is also throwing in the sports exhaust for "free". While the sports exhaust was loud, it wasn't satisfying. It’ll give you a shallow growl like how a motorcycle exhaust would sound on a car. Think modified Civics of the olden days and you get the idea. This to me was a disappointment. Instead of resonating a deep matured or at least more sophisticated sounding exhaust note, MB made their CLA45 sounded a tad bit flappy.

So, the golden question: Is the CLA45 for you? Let me present this from my context. I want a compact car, and I don’t mind a coupe, but it must seat at least 4 properly. I would like a fast car but it would be nice if it is not a fuel guzzler or expensive to maintain or own. (So far so good, expect the price tag) I spend an average of 2-1/2hrs driving everyday, so the car must be comfortable enough. Comfortable enough, not only for my own transport but also to transport my occasional guests from overseas. (Frown... Doubts starting)

Other than the AMG badge, with the same price, I can also buy the following car:
1) Audi S4
2) BMW 335i
3) BMW 435i
4) Mercedes E400 V6 BiTurbo

I guess another round of test drive might be necessary before I make up my mind.
slickpug
Kopi Gao

Postby NW3939 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:39 pm

Hahaha Bro Slickpug...thanks for sharing your CLA 45AMG test drive experience :thumbsup:

I almost thought was reading a Car Magazine critics :yaah:
The Best or Nothing...

MercKaki NW3939

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NW3939
Blue Mountain

Postby slickpug » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:07 pm

Haa haa.... Thanks, bro. Just another car nut thinking too much about cars. :crazy:
slickpug
Kopi Gao

Postby magixz » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:28 pm

My friend collecting his CLA45 tomorrow.
Will jio him here. But he dun like up bonnet sessions
Slowest Merc in Merckaki.com
magixz
3 in 1 Kopi

Postby AP68 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:37 am

magixz wrote:My friend collecting his CLA45 tomorrow.
Will jio him here. But he dun like up bonnet sessions

Don't like up bonnet? How abt up skirt session? Muahahaha...... :1grin:
Merckaki AP68
AP68
Espresso

PreviousNext

Return to Mercedes CLA